Are You Smarter That A Supreme Court Nominee

And you thought you were the only law school student to get a bad grade your first semester? Here's a shocker for you. You're no different than current Supreme Court Nominee (and soon to be Supreme Court Justice) Elena Kagan.

Ms. Kagan (as reported by The New York Times in "A B-Minus? The Shock! The Horror!") received her worst grades of her law school career in her first semester. She received a B in criminal law and a B- minus in torts.

Actually, it may have been her worst grades, but most I know end up with at least one C their first semester. And they can thank the curve for it not being worse.

In the case of Ms. Kagan, she did what most do, she buckled down even more, and worked even harder, and did better the rest of the way. I have no doubt this meant she had much less time for herself and her friends.

Yes, she was driven, just like most law school students. And in her case it looks like things turned out okay. But let me ask you a question. Do you plan on being a Supreme Court Justice? Or, are you focused on getting through law school and landing that dream job?

Have you buckled down even more? Studying longer than before? Did you give up on even the thought of having a life? If so, congratulations! You are living the law school dream?

What's that you're saying, it's not a dream? More like a nightmare?

Is it any wonder so many attorneys are miserable? Who's idea was it anyway that we have to suffer in law school? It sure wasn't mine.

But I was there with you that first year. Fortunately for me I was able to take a step back and look at law school differently. I have one of my Professors to thank for that. Because he suggested the difference between an average attorney and a great attorney was easy to spot.

An average attorney goes with the flow, does what the majority does, and is not an independent thinker. Sure, there is always an exception, as in the case of Elena Kagan. But most of us are not Elena Kagan.

But, the majority of the best attorneys, the cream of the crop, they have a unique ability to step back from a situation, and look for the better path.

It took about a year before I understood what he meant. And in case you're wondering, law school does not teach you the skill of thinking independently. To do so requires you to argue both sides of a case equally. A skill you must demonstrate on your exams to reach cream of the crop status.

Fortunately, the light bulb went off and I figured it out my 2L year. And, while I am no Ms. Kagan, I can at least say I enjoyed my last two years of law school. I mean really enjoyed them. Looking back, those were two of the best years of my life. I don't know Ms. Kagan personally, but I'd bet if I did she wouldn't be able to say the same thing about her last two years in law school.

My parents enjoyed the fact I graduated near the top of my class. I took pride in knowing that based on my Professor's definition, I turned out to be the cream of the crop. And I graduated with the small percentage of students who were the cream of the crop. The big difference between me and the others, I enjoyed my law school experience. I did not purchase a case book those last two years, and I did not attend class either. But I still finished in the top 10%.

The real question for you is, which are you? Will you be an "average" attorney, or the "cream of the crop"?

Maybe buckling down and working harder, studying longer and giving up your life for three years is what works best for you. But only if you're average, or a future Supreme Court Nominee.

Or, you can discover what I did, and get your hands on The Secret To Law School. The cream always rises to the top, and it gets there when you discover the real secrets to help you ace law school.
You have read the best review article categorized by ask an attorney and the title Are You Smarter That A Supreme Court Nominee. You can bookmark or spread this post by using this URL http://attorneysearchtips.blogspot.com/2012/03/are-you-smarter-that-supreme-court.html. Thank You!

Comments :

0 comments to “Are You Smarter That A Supreme Court Nominee”

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Blog Archive